Sunday, October 18, 2009

Preserve Toothbrushes

I just discovered the coolest thing. I had toothbrushes on our shopping list this week-end, because all of ours are getting a little ratty. I walked down the toothbrush aisle at the grocery store and just couldn't bring myself to do it. EVERY kids' toothbrush is plastered with TV characters. I dare you to try to find one that isn't! And they were $3.49. Each. And totally environmentally irresponsible. They're made with new plastic, and as far as I know, aren't recyclable. We use them as long as we can, but ultimately, they land in the garbage. So I did what every concerned toothbrusher would do. :) I came home and hopped online, determined to find a more eco-friendly alternative. And lo and behold, I found these. Preserve toothbrushes are made from 100% recycled plastic, including Stonyfield Farm yogurt cups. Each package features a different endangered species. How cool is that?? I'll take that over a TV character any day! Oh, but wait. That's not all! Each toothbrush comes with a stamped return envelope, so that you can return your toothbrush to Preserve to be further recycled into other products!! Oh, and did I mention that a portion of each sale goes to support the National Wildlife Federation? It just keeps getting better. But are they available in Canada, I wondered? Indeed they are! You can find them at www.homedepot.ca. For, get this: $2.99. Yep, cheaper than the grocery store variety. But what about the carbon footprint of having something shipped to me, you ask? Well, Home Depot offsets the carbon footprint of everything they ship. Yaay, Home Depot! And I figured I might as well make the shipping worthwhile, so I bought 15 of them. Yep. 6 adult ones and 9 kids ones. Then we'll just save 'em all up and send them back all at once for recycling.

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow! We were doing the exact same thing yesterday and then today! I first looked for them while we were out yesterday but didn't buy any. Then again today, and didn't buy any. We will be trying these kind for sure! I'm so excited you found these! YAY! I am wondering if our local Home Depot would carry them. I think I am going to call them tomorrow to find out. They carry razors and razor blade refills too!

    Good work Detective Eco Mom!! :D xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I saw the razor blades and refills, too! But I already have a razor that I buy refills for, so I just can't justify replacing it...

    Let me know what you find out about your Home Depot! We have a Home Depot here, but I couldn't imagine that they would carry these in the store. lol. Right next to the table saws, maybe?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, sooooo I called them. The lady less than enthusiastically said they didn't carry them. She didn't even check for me, she just said no as if I had angered her for asking. Oh how I love good customer service! I am now looking to see if the website accepts PayPal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am *so* grateful you've found these! i have a whole collection of old (clean, but still very tattered) toothbrushes under the kitchen sink; just holding on to them until i found out if they were recyclable.

    when it comes time to replace our current brushes, these recycled ones will definitely be the ones we'll get!

    fwiw, i found my current toothbrushes for 2/97cents - *considerably* less than the average brush price in Canada.

    i abhor the cartoon brushes for the kids. does not need a cartoon on it to be functional.

    thx for the post!
    ~n~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool,

    I'll have to look into those. We just got toothbrushes from the dentist this week and I too am appalled by the cartoon character toothbrushes and the fact that they are only good for a certain amount and then they end up being tossed....I can only keep them under the sink in my kitchen for so long.

    Neat, thanks for hunting these down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buying kids toothbrushes give me the rage! And I have to replace them often as there is a lot more 'chewing' then 'brushing' involved. Thank you so much for sourcing these, I am ordering some tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome! How great that they are available in Canada, too. It's crazy how often living north of the border can be a huge obstacle, lol!

    How would you go about sending back the toothbrushes from Canada, though? Do you send them back to Preserve or Home Depot?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Question, JBirch22!
    According to the HD website, the toothbrushes were supposed to come with a postage-paid, return envelope... but they did not. I'll have to e-mail Preserve and find out what the scoop is. I'll let you know what I find out!

    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I just went on their website, and you can download the postage-paid mailer directly from their site here:

    http://preserveproducts.com/recycling/recyclepreserveproducts.html

    While I was there, I noticed they had a very cool subscription program! You can get them to automatically send you a new toothbrush in the mail at the interval you select (one every 2 months, etc.). I love this company. :)

    Alissa

    ReplyDelete