Thursday, August 6, 2009

Ditching the microwave

In our quest to create a healthier home, we've done many things so far. We've eliminated all of the chemicals from our home. We've ditched the disposables. We've eliminated most plastics. But one thing we've been procrastinating on is getting rid of the microwave. It's just so darned convenient! Forgot to defrost something from the freezer? Pop it in the microwave! Need to re-heat leftovers? In the microwave they go! Initially I told myself I'd just try to use it less, and to use the stove for re-heating things whenever possible. But slowly, gradually, we reverted back to using the microwave. I've mentioned several times that I'm a believer in creating an environment that sets us up for success. By leaving that thing in the kitchen, I was setting myself up for failure. It is human nature to take the path of least resistance! If the microwave is here, I'm going to use it. So yesterday, after reading a few articles like this one, I decided it was time. I unplugged that baby and got it out of the kitchen. (Okay, it's only sitting about 10 feet away while it awaits its fate in the basement, but at least it's out of the kitchen!). My husband's only protest was that he wouldn't have enough time to re-heat his oatmeal on the stove each morning (he makes a big batch on the week-end and re-heats it all week). I said he'd either have to get up earlier, or put it on the stove on low while he takes his shower, and then eat his breakfast after his shower. The point is, we are all addicted to convenience. One of my favourite new quotes is: "a luxury, once sampled, becomes a necessity". So I am now much more wary of what I sample. We buy things to make our lives easier, and then we can't imagine living without them. I made a deal with him that we'd do without it for a week, as a trial period, and see how it went. If we survive, we will get rid of it for good. Sometimes men have to be eased into such changes. :) But I've already decided that our future will be microwave-free. Now, any tips on re-heating things without a microwave? We eat leftovers for lunch almost every day! I'm thinking our toaster oven will be our new best friend. We'll just have to think about lunch more than 30 seconds before we want to eat.

5 comments:

  1. Good Luck. I've never bought a microwave and people think it's odd, but I honestly find the stove is pretty efficient for the foods I cook!
    Beautiful photograph on your header! It makes me miss Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Stepmom recently watched the kids while we went to a homeschooling convention and she made the comment when we got back that she "almost died w/out a microwave". Everything tastes sooo much better reheated in the oven or on the stove! U won't want to go back to the microwave! As far as tips - you nailed it - you have to think about lunch more than 30 seconds b4 hand, really only about 5-10 not too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alissa! My grandmother refused to use the microwave my parents gave her for just those reasons. She was always wary of waves. :) Thanks for the link, the bit about the changes in blood was pretty scary.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog! Would your husband consider waiting one more year since your daughter turns five so late in the year? In California, children are not required to attend school until age 6, so you don't even have to officially declare yourself a homeschooler until first grade. I don't know what it's like where you are, but I do think a full day of school is a huge deal for a child so young who's been at home with mom previously, even if they appear academically ready.

    If you do choose to send your daughter to school, I imagine that what she'll need the most from you in the after hours is just whatever makes her feel most loved and connected at home. What are her favorite things to do with you?

    The transition to school can be pretty exhausting at first, so she may just need a nap! But she might be resistant to being *told* to take a nap, after spending all day being told what to do by people she barely knows. Maybe you could lay down together, looking at books, talking about her day, and just chilling out a bit.

    I know that's probably not quite what you were looking for, so I'm sorry if it's not helpful. Honestly, by 2 p.m., we're all pretty tired around here, so if we do anything it's pretty low key. Reading, playing games, baking cookies. If I'm the only one who's tired, then I send them outside to play with the neighbor kids. :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crunchy Christian Mom,

    Thanks for visiting! :)
    I would love it if I could convince my husband to just let me homeschool for kindergarten. Like you, I feel that going from being home all day with mom to going to school full-time is a pretty huge leap. Even if it was only half-days I don't think I would be quite so resistant. But at the same time, I wouldn't want her to be at a disadvantage in grade one, when all the kids have already formed relationships in kindergarten, as well as learning the various routines, etc. It's tricky.

    I actually just found out there's going to be a homeschool information session at my public library this Saturday, which I'd like to attend. Maybe if I could convince my husband to come with me he might change his perspective somewhat (like most people, his aversion to homeschooling is the supposed lack of socialization).

    Other than that, thanks for your tips. :) You're right, she probably will be exhausted and will just want to rest. Our afternoons are generally pretty low-key around here as well, we try to get all of our chores done in the morning so we don't have much to do in the afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband wasn't for or against homeschooling and we had a homeschooling convention in June. I asked him to go w/me just to learn about it and he did. Now he's soooo for homeschooling! He went to a workshop by Rick Boyer called "What's a Dad to Do?" while he was there and bought one of his books "The Hands-On Dad" and is very much into what we are doing.

    Maybe sometime when socialization is brought up, you can remind him nicely that there is no other time in our life when we are w/people who are our exact same age! When you go into the workfield you have to learn how to work w/people older and younger. And is it silly to put a bunch of kids the exact same age together, struggling w/the same issues and learning the same thing? What could they possibly gain from each other? When we were thinking about it none of our friends now are the same age as us!

    ReplyDelete