Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sewing Machine Meme

Sew Mama Sew is hosting a Sewing Machine Meme today, so I thought I'd participate! Since I'm not actually getting any sewing done these days, I can at least talk about my sewing machine. :)


What brand and model do you have? Janome DC3050. I blogged about it here. :)

How long have you had it? Almost exactly a year.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)? We paid $799 CDN, but I think the regular retail was $999.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)? Right now, not much of anything. :) Normally, I like to sew kids clothes, cloth diapers, pajamas, curtains, pretty basic stuff. Lots of mending. And I'm learning how to quilt!

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get? Ideally, I would like to sew for an hour or so each day. Since the baby was born, I think I've sewn for an hour, total. :)

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name? I LOVE my machine! It's very, very quiet. Sews like butter. It has a good selection of fancy stitches, but not so many that it's ridiculous. I haven't named her... any suggestions??!

What features does your machine have that work well for you? I LOVE the automatic needle up/down. And the automatic needle threader. And that it automatically sets stitch length and width when I select a stitch. And the drop-in bobbin with the clear cover so I can always see when I'm running out of bobbin thread. What's the expression, "A luxury, once sampled, becomes a necessity...". So true!

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine? Some things took getting used to. Like the speed control for the machine is on the front of the machine, so to go faster, I have to adjust the little switch, rather than just push harder with my foot. Irritating at first, but now I'm used to it. Also, the seam lines are marked in centimeters (the inches are further up on the plate), which can be annoying when I'm trying to use a seam allowance that's in inches. I guess since I'm Canadian, I should get over it and just work in centimeters. :)

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it! My darling husband bought it for me for Mother's Day last year. He was dying for a new iPod Touch, so he sold off almost half of his CD collection to raise enough money for it. Then his parents ended up buying him the Touch for his birthday, so he bought me a new sewing machine instead. :) Isn't he sweet??

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why? Absolutely! It runs like a dream. And other than the above-mentioned minor irritants, it's a fabulous machine.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine? SERVICE! No matter what machine you decide on, I think you should always buy it from a local sewing machine dealer (Not Wal Mart!). The machine itself is only part of what you're paying for, there's no substitute for being able to take it back to the dealer any time you have a problem with it, often they will help you with the problem free of charge. My machine also came with as many free lessons as I wanted. I would far sooner buy even a second-hand machine from a dealer than a cheap new machine from a big-box store that you're stuck with once you buy it.

Do you have a dream machine? Well, I love my sewing machine, and can't see myself replacing it any time in the future. My next dream machine will be a new serger. :) The Babylock Imagine.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Alissa!

    It was so nice to hear from you, and that you enjoyed the Cinnamon-Raisin Bread recipe. It's getting far too hot here (Sonoran Desert) for me to be doing much (any) baking, but I would expect that you could use regular dough the same way - except I don't know why the refrigeration is necessary. I would take it out of the machine, throw it in a pan, let it do its second rise, and then throw it in the oven as usual. In fact, I intend to as soon as I can turn the oven on again without causing our electric bill to shoot through the roof. :) Try it both ways; experimentation is the key. Let me know how it works for you!!

    Adorable baby - congratulations!!

    Have a lovely week,
    Shani (aka CelticMom@HSB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, i've just bought one of the dc3050 recently! i'm so glad to find so many good comments about this machine! =) thanks! denice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denice!
    Thanks for stopping by my little blog. :) I hope you love your new machine as much as I do! I can't wait until I can start using it again. :)

    Alissa

    ReplyDelete