Friday, May 15, 2009

Getting Adjusted...

Hello everyone!
I hope you haven't given up on me, I know I haven't posted in ages! I'm still getting adjusted to being a mom of 3, and figuring out how to balance it all. It's a little trickier than I would have imagined, but we are somehow managing! I've had to learn that I can't do it all, or at least not all at once. Sometimes I feel like my older two (who are only four and two!) have had to do some growing up since Gavin arrived, which makes me a little sad - I don't want them to grow up any sooner than they have to! But it sure is nice that my four year old is able to get herself a simple snack (like a bowl of cheerios!), or put on her own tv show, or help her little brother play a game on the computer. (Yes, my children are watching a lot of tv and playing a lot of computer games these days... and I've learned to be okay with that during this season of my life!). My Cuddly Wrap has become my best friend. I can wear Gavin all day long, and as long as he is snuggled up to me in the wrap, he is content, and I have two free hands to get things done. I'm not sure why I didn't do this with my other two! I guess having two free hands wasn't as essential before I had 3 kids! There isn't much I can't do when I'm wearing him! And the laundry... OH, the laundry! I thought I had a lot of laundry when I had 2 kids. HA! I now do laundry from morning till night, easily 3-4 loads a day (I have two in diapers!). (And on a side note, our washing machine is on the verge of blowing up, so we are looking for a good, sturdy replacement... any suggestions??). All in all, things are going pretty well. And on the days I'm frustrated and feel like I can get nothing done, I try to remind myself how quickly this time will pass... and that I don't want to look back at the time when my children are so young and have regrets about not enjoying them as much as I should.

I found this poem on the internet that sums it up very nicely for me... and when I'm having one of THOSE days, I read it, and it very quickly puts things into perspective:

To My Grown-up Son

"My hands were busy through the day

I didn't have much time to play

The little games you asked me to.

I didn't have much time for you.

"I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook,

But when you'd bring your picture book

And ask me, please, to share your fun,

I'd say, 'A little later, son.'

"I'd tuck you in all safe at night,

And hear your prayers, turn out the light,

Then tiptoe softly to the door.

I wish I'd stayed a minute more.

"For life is short, and years rush past,

A little boy grows up so fast.

No longer is he at your side.

His precious secrets to confide.

"The picture books are put away,

There are no children's games to play,

No good night kiss, no prayers to hear.

That all belongs to yesteryear.

"My hands once busy, now lie still

The days are long and hard to fill.

I wish I might go back and do

The little things you asked me to."

If it brings tears to your eyes like it does for me every time I read it, I hope it also reminds you to focus on what is truly important.


5 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I would imagine adding another child would take some adjustment! Gavin is adorable! And your poem totally made me well up. Some days, when I put my daughter down at night, I think back and say "wow, we didn't spend much time together today." Obviously I feed her and change her and stuff, but on days when we are running a lot of errands and there is a lot to do, I don't spend as much time on the floor reading to her and playing and letting her crawl all over me, and that makes me so sad! As for washing machines, we just bought a new washer and dryer. There are GEs and were a little on the expensive side, but in my opinion, definitely worth it. They are very efficient and the washing machine is a front loading machine. I can set a pre wash and extra rinse, which is so helpful when doing diapers! There is a picture of them on my blog. I understand your feelings with laundry. We are only a family of three and I do ten loads a week, and only two are diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly!
    When the repair guy was here and told us the washer was toast, I asked him if he had any recommendations for a new washer. Unfortunately, he said we couldn't use a front-loader because our floor is so unlevel (we live in an almost 100-year-old house), and he said it would give us all kinds of problems. So we have to go with a top-loader. I've been researching High-Efficiency top loaders but I think the technology is still pretty new, as all the reviews I've read have been pretty scary! (Circuit boards failing, clothes coming out unclean and permanently wrinkled from spinning at such a high speed, soap residue because they use so little water that the soap doesn't dissolve, etc.) So I think until the technology improves we'll just have to go with a run-of-the-mill washing machine. I know GE is a good brand though, so maybe I'll check them out! We're going shopping today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how is the envelope budget going? are you still doing it off last months paychecks?....id like to know

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Alissa! So nice to see a picture of your sweet baby!

    I'd write more, but I am pretty much SOBBING from reading that verse you shared (I enjoyed it, it just made me teary :) I'm trying to parent more consciously and grab those little moments as they come - this time while they are little is so fleeting, isn't it? These are precious years. Precious and BUSY years!

    Hope things are well in your newly-expanded family. Nice to see you back here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheri,
    I know, I get teary every time I read it! On days when I feel overwhelmed I read that, and it makes me realize that I would rather be overwhelmed and busy in a house full of kids than alone in a quiet house!

    Matt,
    Yes, we are still doing the envelope budgeting! It is working out fabulously. We were able to take our broken washing machine in stride because we had been setting funds aside in our "Repair/Replace" fund that we created for this exact purpose. Have you started envelope budgeting?

    ReplyDelete