Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Still here. :)

I know it's been awhile since I've posted - I'm still here! Just busy nesting and getting things ready for baby's arrival (which should be in about 2 weeks). I think we're pretty much ready. As ready as we're going to be anyway! All we really have to do is get the infant seat into the van (it's sitting by the front door... hopefully my husband will have a chance to install it this week-end). My bags are packed with the exception of the last-minute things that have to be thrown in (which I have written on a detailed list in case someone else has to do it for me!). Owen arrived quickly; within 4 hours of my first contraction, so we're planning on this baby making a speedy appearance as well! (Possibly even speedier!). Something I had trouble deciding was whether or not to use cloth diapers while at the hospital. We are full-time cloth diaperers at home, and I really cringed at the idea of using disposables even for those first few days at the hospital. Especially given the fact that they're using regular, chemical-filled disposables. That's hardly the introduction to the world that I want to give this baby. I toyed with the idea of buying some newborn Seventh Generation disposables (which are chlorine-free) to bring with me, but I find disposables in general to be icky. They're flimsy and crinkly and plasticky and stinky (how are those for adjectives!), and I want my baby's first diapering experience to be soft and gentle, both to him and the planet. So in the end I decided I would bring cloth. The baby has his own little suitcase, stuffed to the brim with cloth diapers. :) Bruce tried to talk me out of it because he was afraid I would annoy the nurses if I insisted on using cloth. I decided I could care less if the nurses are annoyed. :) I would actually love for the nurses to see how great cloth diapering can be!

I thought I should also post an update on the whole getting up early thing! I think what it comes down to is that I need sleep more than I need peace and quiet. :) 8 hours is definitely the minimum amount of sleep that I need to be functional. That said though, I have been getting up somewhat earlier; 6:45 rather than 7:00-7:15. While it doesn't seem like a huge difference, it actually does make my mornings run a little smoother. I'm not quite as rushed trying to get things done in the morning, and I end up completing my chores a little earlier, leaving us with more time to do things together. It also seemed a little silly to try to establish a new routine when the new baby is going to turn it all upside down anyway. So for now I'll keep aiming for a 6:45 wake up time, and once the baby arrives I'll just have to go with the flow for awhile!


8 comments:

  1. I agree w/you on the cloth diaper thing.. afterall you are going to pay for that stay there and the nurses are getting paid to be there too! We started going to bed earlier & it's made such a difference in our attitude & energy for the day. Plus like you said, chores are done so much earlier. Best wishes for your labor & delivery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh...the great thing about having a baby in Canada is that you get to leave with a beautiful baby....not a baby and a BILL!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Bridgett: May I ask what time you go to bed? I love hearing about other people's schedules! I struggle to go to bed before 11:30, mostly because I like to catch the 11:00 news. I've started taping the news so I can watch it the next day, but it's not quite the same the next day. :) And what time do you get up?

    @Anonymous: So true! Although theoretically we ARE paying for it with our tax dollars, it's nice that it's already taken care of. I can't imagine giving birth to a new baby and having to worry about a big medical bill. I truly feel like we live in the best Country there is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you guys don't have to pay to have your babies! We still owe $800 from our second, after already paying almost $2000, and thats w/insurance that covered 85%! Well we started going to bed @ 10-10:30pm. We used to go to bed between 12-12:30. Now I get up @6-6:30am. It used to be 8-9! I had the hardest time getting up, lack of sleep & we started eating much healthier, more raw, organic,etc. Plus I gave up soda. It's crazy how much that all matters. Sorry to tell you so much. I read in Jordan Rubin's The Great Physician's Rx For Health and Wellness that our liver goes through a cleaning process between 11pm - 1am, and if we are awake it can't cleanse properly. He says that our biological cycles follow the 24 hour cycle of the sun. - ok i'm stopping now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the next few weeks. I hope the baby arrives in as calm and happy a way as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bridgett: By all means, share away! We are making similar lifestyle changes. We've gradually switched to a whole, mostly organic diet over the past year or so. I would now like to work on reducing/eliminating dairy, and incorporating more raw foods. (I've been vegetarian for years, both my kids are veg, and DH occasionally comes home with meat on his breath when he goes out to eat... but since I do all the cooking, he eats veg at home). I can't remember the last time I had pop (AKA soda)! The thought of it doesn't even appeal to me any more! Coffee, on the other hand, is the one vice I have yet to give up, and I'm not sure if I ever will. :( I only have one cup a day though, and it's first thing in the morning. I really think the key is to make the changes gradually, and only doing one thing at a time until you and your family are able to adjust. Not just in relation to food, but all lifestyle changes. Anything too drastic and it's highly unlikely that you'll stick with it for any length of time. Okay, I'll stop now too. lol. Oh, and I find the idea of paying to have a baby to be a little bit insane! I really wanted to be able to use a midwife for this pregnancy but as of yet, midwifery is not covered under our provincial health coverage. It's in the works, and will likely be available in the next couple of years. In the meantime, we'll use our "free" hospital delivery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you sure are organized. I have to admit that I'm way too laid back and reading your blog helps me think about how I could be doing better at scheduling my days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You-hoo! Are you still there? I was over visting FrugalBabe's site and she mentioned you, so I skipped over here to see if there is any baby news :)

    Hope you're doing well and that you have a beautiful and blissful birth. Looking forward to hearing your sweet baby news! The thought of your baby's wee little suitcase stuffed with soft cloth diapers made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete