Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hole be Gone

These are the pants I mentioned in my last post.  I didn't have anything in my fabric stash that I really liked, so I did end up buying 2 small pieces of fabric to do this - but I think the total cost was less than $2.00 (still cheaper than new pants!).  And because the minimum I could buy of each fabric was 0.2m, and it was 45" wide, I still have plenty left. I thought I might make her a pencil case or a small purse out of the scraps.  

It was actually REALLY easy to do.  I did it one evening while watching t.v.  I used Heat 'n Bond (not necessary, but definitely makes it easier).  It's basically an iron-on adhesive.  So you iron a piece of fabric to the glue side of the Heat 'n Bond, and then cut out your desired shape.  (Bruce suggested a butterfly, but I thought I'd stick with something a little more simple!).  Then you peel off the paper backing, and iron it to the pants.  Since I wanted to use 2 fabrics, I just repeated the process for the smaller heart.  Then, using a hand sewing needle and co-ordinating thread, I did a simple applique stitch around each heart.  (The Heat 'n Bond is really only to hold it in place while you sew - if you didn't sew around it, it would likely fall off after a few washings).  The applique stitch is really simple, just decide how long and how far apart you want your stitches, then weave the needle in and out all the way around your shape.  It might take a few stitches to start getting them even, but that just adds to the character.  :)  And voila - good as new!

No comments:

Post a Comment