Wednesday, January 14, 2009

An Economical Start to Cloth Diapering

Happy new year everyone!  I hope you're all well-rested after the holidays.  I feel like I'm still recovering...  or it could be that I'm in the final stretch of pregnancy and I'm just feeling more tired.  Sometimes I like to try to convince myself that I can get a million things done, even though my body is trying to tell me otherwise!  With only 9 1/2 weeks to go, I think my body is telling me to slow down and chill out.  :)  Meanwhile, my nesting instincts are telling me the opposite! I feel like there are still so many things to do before this baby's arrival.  So I made a decision that will make my life a little easier.  I was planning on sewing a full newborn stash of fitted diapers, but given that a) I don't have the energy, and b) They're only in the newborn size for about 3 months, and it seemed like a gargantuine waste of time, I decided to take the easy route: Prefolds and covers. 
I discovered that Bummis makes a cloth diaper starter kit, which includes 36 infant prefolds, 6 covers, and a roll of flushable diaper liners.  I bought it at our local Baby Company for $159.00, which I think is pretty good for 3 months worth of diapering! I likely would have spent twice that on disposables during the same amount of time.  The great thing is that prefolds are so versatile...  when the baby outgrows them, I can use them as inserts or doublers for the next-sized diaper...  they can also be used as burp cloths, or on-the-go change pads. I've heard many moms say they make great, long-lasting dust rags, and are wonderful for washing the car!  And they're unbleached, so no nasty chemicals.  I washed them 3 times in hot water  (to strip the natural oils out of them), and dried them in the dryer, and they fluffed up beautifully and are SO nice and soft.  :)  I bought a snappi, and a few dozen washcloths to use as wipes, so we're good to go in the diapering department!  I might make a couple of fitteds just because they're so stinkin' cute (I made one last night, in fact), but I no longer have the pressure of sewing a whole stash - now I can just sew for fun!  For the record, this kit also comes in toddler size - so if you have an older baby and think cloth diapering is unaffordable, this would be a great way to do it.

2 comments:

  1. You should try these:http://www.bumgenius.com/one-size.php

    These are the greatest things since sliced bread! We have only purchased 2 packages of disposable diapers since he was born. He is now 10 months old and still wearing the same ones. They wear well, don't stain at all, and have saved us so much money and waste. Plus, my son is in the 96% for his height and weight,but was only 7lbs. 12 ounces when he was born. I promise you, you will not be sorry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first son was in disposables. Actually he's turning 4 in a week and still won't give them up. We've probably spent way over $4,000 on diapers. Now that I'm pregnant with my 2nd, you better believe it that we are using cloth diapers lol!! I'm even going to be doing Elimination Communication with the next child.

    I ordered my diapers from www.sweetcheeks.com.

    I also got cloth pads from her sister site (the link is on her site) since I can't sew.

    I wish there was a website that was just for reusable everything. No more disposables!

    ReplyDelete