Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy Holidays!

Wow, it's hard to believe it's 2 days before Christmas!  Where has the time gone?  We have a lovely thick blanket of snow outside, and providing the rain holds off, it looks like we will have a white Christmas.  :)  I think the wind has died down some, which is making our drafty house a little more bearable.  

My Christmas sewing is complete!  Well, as much of it as I am going to get done.  ;)  I finished the kids' pajamas on the week-end, and then spent 2 nights making these boxer shorts for my husband. They look simple enough, don't they? His all-time favourite boxer shorts are from the Gap, but since we can't afford to buy them, I took apart an old pair and took a pattern from them.  The only problem is that I go so long between making them, that every time I try to do it, I can NOT for the life of me figure out how the fly goes together.  It took me several tries, but I think I finally got it.  I should really write the instructions down when I finally figure it out, but I never do.  :)  In any case, what I should have been able to whip up in a couple of hours took me about 6 or 7.  I hope he likes them.  lol.  Sorry I don't have any pictures of the pajamas, I was at a Barra MacNeil's Christmas concert last night, and by the time I got home, Bruce had all of the gifts wrapped!  It was a nice surprise, but now you'll have to wait until after Christmas for pajama pictures.  At least the kids will be able to model them!  Owen's book didn't get finished, but, well, there's always Easter.  :)  

My sewing basket is once again overflowing with "UFOs" (Unfinished Objects), so it will be time to get caught up again after Christmas.  I still have several diapers to repair, a pair of Norah's pants with a hole in the knee (brand new pants, she fell on the sidewalk and skinned her knee while wearing them), a pair of maternity pants that won't stay up, so I'm putting a new band on them, Owen's book, and a quilt I started more than a year ago.  The quilt top is finished, but I still have to add borders, and quilt it.  It's more of a long-term project, and since it was my first quilt, it's been a learning experience.  I'm in no rush to finish it, but it is in my basket, so it qualifies as a "UFO".  :)  

But first, I'm going to take some time to enjoy the holidays, and enjoy having my husband home for a little while.  I hope to spend lots of time drinking egg nog, with my feet up by the fire, and visiting with lots of good friends and family.  Thus, I'll probably take a brief blogging hiatus, and be back in the new year.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!  

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!

    those are some spiffy boxers -- much nicer than Gap undies :) You are a fabulous seamstress! And how you find the time, with 2.5 little kiddos, I have no clue...

    I also have a heap of UFO's -- I hide 'em in a basket behind my couch, ready to tackle should the mood strike. It never does :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri,

    The mood never seems to strike me either!! I've been making an effort to sew for one hour per night - whether it's sitting at the couch doing hand-sewing, or cutting out, or sewing at the machine. I figure if I do that Monday-Thursday (Friday is date night!), that adds up to 4 hours of sewing per week, which I know I wouldn't get done otherwise!

    What kind of things are in your UFO basket? :)

    ReplyDelete