Sunday, November 9, 2008

Owen's Birthday

It's my goal to give as many hand-made gifts as possible this year, and my son's 2nd birthday is no exception!  I also want those gifts to be as eco-friendly as possible.  After searching around on the internet for patterns for soft toys, I realized that I had a pattern for this soft book in my stash.  I thought, what a great way to use up all of those itty bitty fabric scraps!  I keep a bag of small scraps that are too small to be useful, but too big to be thrown out.  I had fun rooting through it last night finding pieces that would work.  :)  I will still have to buy a few things to complete the book, but most of it will come from my scrap bag.  It's a very interactive book, each page has something for him to do.  There are bells in the cat's bow.  The butterfly wings crinkle.  The shoe laces tie up.  The flowers button and unbutton.  The dog is on a leash, and you can pull him out of the dog house.  The corn has a working zipper.  And the bird's nest pulls down to reveal little eggs inside.  :)  I hope he enjoys it!  I'd better get cracking!





4 comments:

  1. Wow. I am not great at sewing so that sounds like an ambitious project to me! I bet he will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    Yes, the more I look at it, the more I realize just how ambitious it is. lol. His birthday is only 2 weeks away, so if I don't get it finished in time, I guess it will be a Christmas present! That's okay though. :) Either way he will get to enjoy it. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that is amazing! I'm still a newbie at the sewing machine, although I'm planning to sew ornaments for my nieces (I make ornaments for them every year, but this is my first year with a sewing machine, so I gotta use it!). I love the book, but I think it would take me about two years to make :) Can't wait to see your finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cute pattern! Your dedication is inspiring... I would be tempted to buy for my son's birthday.

    ReplyDelete