Monday, November 17, 2008

I made ketchup!

I'm trying to focus on buying whole foods, and eliminating those convenient, pre-processed foods.  Even though the few that I do buy are organic, I would still prefer to make my own from scratch.  Both to save money, and because I'm sure it's healthier.  Strangely, it also simplifies our lives.  You might think, but it's more work to make condiments than to just buy them!  But the fewer ingredients I have to buy and store on our monthly grocery shopping trip, the better!  And by sticking to whole (ie - single-ingredient) foods, it really simplifies that process.  Then, throughout the month, if I run out of something, I can simply make it myself.  When we ran out of ketchup, I almost ran to the store to get more.  But then I realized I had everything I needed to make my own.  I used this great recipe from Passionate Homemaking.  Bruce and I really liked it, but I don't think the kids were crazy about it.  You could definitely taste the molasses in it.  Which isn't a bad thing, but might be an acquired taste for the kids.  (They are used to the bottled stuff, after all!).  I might keep experimenting until I come up with a recipe that everyone likes.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alissa

    There is nothing better than home-made thats for sure! Your tomato sauce looks great.

    If you are after an alternative recipe, I have one on my blog under the recipes label on the right. Even my 2 fussy children love this one, and once done it will keep for 12 months in a cool dark cupboard.

    Blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I thought I was the only crazy one for making ketchup. I tried this recipe from Bernardin http://tinyurl.com/58sxgk
    there was no molasses but I omitted the chilli powder the second time. I almost blew the lips off the kids. My hubby, myself and the baby love it but the three year old wants nothing to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I am going to try this recipe -- thanks for posting. I never buy processed ketchup so this will be quite a treat.

    ReplyDelete