Friday, September 26, 2008

Another diaper.


All those growing tired of cloth diapering posts, say "I". :)
I made this one last night - another free Darling Diaper Newborn. This one was turned and topstitched (now that my serger is dead), and I actually prefer the look of a turned-and-topstitched diaper! Go figure. :) There were still a few mistakes in this one - I don't think I stretched the leg elastic tight enough for T&T, as the leg holes seem a little big. And I forgot to move out a little when I was topstitching around the elastic, which would have reduced the stretchiness as well. Also, I left my opening for turning at the back, and didn't like how it looked when I slip stitched it closed, because of the elastic there. I might leave my opening elsewhere next time. And I'm still unsure if I'm supposed to add seam allowance to this pattern or not - there were no directions with it! I only used 1/4 inch seam allowance, but it seemed like my stitching was awfully close to the snaps, and then when I was top stitching I had to carefully turn the hand wheel to get around the snaps, as they were so close to the edge. So I might add seam allowance next time and see if that makes it any better. From cutting out to finishing this diaper took me just under 2 hours. I'm still getting used to applying the snaps, so I'm sure once I do a few more I'll get a little speedier. Here are a few more pics:




























4 comments:

  1. The free pattern does not include seam allowances since it was written for serging. If you're going to t&t, I'd add 1/4" all the way around or whatever your allowance would be.

    Cute diaper! So tiny. Hard to believe bums come that small, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not tired of seeing the fluff yet! Looks great to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your diapers are fantastic! I'm just about to start round two of diaper making, as my little guy is 17 lbs now, and the alterations I made on his newborn diapers will probably only last another couple of months. I'll be referring to your site for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. brogansmomma,
    Thank you! I'll definitely add seam allowance next time!

    Michelle & Frugal Babe,
    Thanks! :) Frugal Babe, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your new dipes!

    ReplyDelete