Monday, August 25, 2008

I did it!

I ordered the snap press. :) I'm totally pumped. I can't wait to make teeny tiny newborn diapers! I almost ordered some fabric too (Wazoodle has some wonderful cloth diapering fabric), but I've decided instead to try to make use of the fabric I already have. I have a few metres of flannel I bought years ago to make myself some pajamas, but I never ended up making them. It's not really babyish, but they're just diapers...no one will really see them except me! The only thing I might splurge on is some microfleece for the inners - it helps keep baby feeling dry, so it might be worth the bit of extra expense.

Now I'm off to clear out my sewing basket - I'm trying to force myself to finish old projects before moving onto new ones. So I have some mending to take care of, and an apron to finish. And then I can engage in guilt-free diaper sewing. :) Bliss.....

7 comments:

  1. Do you use a specific pattern for your cloth diapers? Are they all in one or do you use inserts? I just started researching cloth diapers and have seen a plethora of options online but you're the first one I've seen to make them yourself. I would think it would be more economical to make your own.

    Thanks!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI there,

    Thanks for stopping by!
    I have a few cloth diapering posts that you could look at, and I believe I listed the patterns I used. Just click on cloth diapering in my sidebar and it will take you to those posts. My favourite pattern so far has been Mama Bird - it sews up really quickly and easily, especially using knits and a serger. But there are a few others I'm anxious to try, once I get my snap press. I'm thinking Fattycakes, or Chloe Toes. (They both use snaps!). I would also like to try the Darling Diapers newborn pattern (which is free to download). You could do a google search for any of these and find them pretty quickly.

    It's DEFINITELY more economical to sew your own cloth diapers, particularly if you're resourceful about your fabric. You can make great cloth diapers out of old t-shirts and towels! When I first started cloth diapering I shelled out about $500.00 for the diapers and supplies. I wasn't brave enough to sew my own, but I wish I was! I'm planning to sew my diapers for my next baby, which will save us a ton of money, even after factoring in the cost of the snap press!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy. I look forward to seeing those little dipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see your creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That press looks so fun. I am very impressed with you making your own diapers. You have inspired me. If you ever wonder if your blog was a waste of time, just remember all the people like me who have benefitted from seeing how you live your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Liss,

    I agree with Carolyn! You've always been a great inspiration! To encourage as you do, not to mention lead by example, shows how it is possible to provide with purpose!

    Thank you,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, thanks guys. :) That is so kind of you to say!

    ReplyDelete