Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Why it's a good idea to get a head start on supper, always have a Plan B, and to ONLY make one new recipe per week. :)

As I mentioned in my last Menu-Plan Monday post, I limit myself to one new recipe per week. This is partly because there's no need to torture my family any more than necessary with my "experiments". :) And also because, from time to time, said "experiment" is not edible, and thus gets fed only to the compost bin. This is not only a huge waste of money, but more importantly time, which I don't have enough of as it is, and is a surefire way to make me cranky. >:(

Yesterday I had lentil dahl planned. Normally I use brown lentils, and it always turns out perfectly. For some reason, I decided to mess with perfection, and use the pretty red lentils I had in my pantry. I ended up with a huge pot of red sloppy mush. I think mush is even too generous of a word. It was more like soup. But nothing you would want to eat. I'm sure my compost bin was appreciative. Lucky for me, I had some veggie burgers in the freezer. I popped them in the toaster oven and they were ready by the time my husband arrived home. Crisis averted. :)

Fast forward to today. I didn't end up making my chick pea burgers on Saturday, as planned... but I had already cooked the chick peas, and their time in the fridge was running out. So I thought, today is the day. I will make the chick pea burgers so I don't waste any more food. It was a brand new recipe, and I didn't read it very closely. I was zipping along, dumping things into the food processor... and then read the next part of the recipe. Breadcrumbs. No problem, there are some in the cupboard, I remember making them. Well, apparently, I used them all up. There were like 3 crumbs left. Nowhere near the cup and a half I needed. Lucky for me, I started supper about an hour earlier than usual, so I thought great, I have plenty of time! I'll just make some! So here it is, 4:44 pm, and I am still waiting for my frozen bread heels to thaw and dry out in the oven. They've been in there for over an hour. I just poked at them, and they are still as soft as can be. And thanks to yesterday, we are fresh out of veggie burgers, and there is no Plan B.

What is the moral of my story?

Never, EVER try something new twice in one week.
ALWAYS have a plan B.
ALWAYS start supper way earlier than you think you need to!

No comments:

Post a Comment