Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Say no to junk mail!!

Part of our effort to reduce our impact on our planet involves reducing the amount of mail we receive. Some time ago, I registered with the Canadian Marketing Association's opt-out list, which greatly reduced the amount of addressed junk mail we received (credit card offers, catalogues, etc.). However, it seemed like every day we were still getting at least one piece of un-addressed junk mail in our mail box. I didn't think there was anything I could do about it, until just now!

I've just discovered something called the Red Dot Campaign, which is a campagin to reduce the amount of junk mail being delivered in Canada. Their purpose is to raise awareness of Canada Post's Consumer Choice Program. You can order a sticker for your mailbox (for $1.00, plus S&H), that says "No Junk Mail Please!", or you can simply write your own sign, and tape it to your mailbox. Either way, Canada Post is committed to respecting your wishes, and not delivering unsolicited junk mail! Yaaay! Score one for Canada Post!

I just finished making my sign, and now I'm going to sit back and enjoy not having to take stuff out of my mail box and put it directly into a recycling bag (which is normally what I do!).

A nice side-effect of this is that it's another step towards simplifying my life. Less things coming into my home that I need to deal with. Less blue bags to buy. Less money spent. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment