Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Global Warming News

One of my favourite new websites to visit is called Path to Freedom. I love this website, because it really exemplifies my ultimate dream - to be entirely self-sufficient. There was a blog post on there this morning that was rather alarming. You can read it here:

http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2008/06/24/not-so-good-news/

It links to this article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080624/ap_on_sc/sci_warming_scientist

Basically the gist of it is that NASA is calling for drastic action in order to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The earth can only sustain this level of destruction for a couple more decades before we face mass extinction. A couple of DECADES. That's twenty years, folks. And this is coming from NASA. This is not some quack making wacky predictions.

I normally don't like to blog about doomsday-type topics, because I don't want to scare people away. I prefer to approach things in the most positive light possible, mostly because I think people are more likely to change for positive benefits, rather than to avoid negative ones. But we have all had our heads stuck in the sand for too long. The reality is that if we don't start making DRASTIC changes, we are going to self-destruct. And soon. Between global warming, and the Oil Crash, life as we know it is going to change. So we can go on pretending that everything will be fine, and that the Government will be there to protect us, but the reality is that we need to take mass action on a grass-roots level. We all need to take personal resposibility in order to avert this crisis. For the crisis IS looming. It is not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Self-sufficient living was once a pipe dream of mine. I would fantasize about living in a home where we would be off the grid; producing our own heat and energy, growing and preserving our own food, spinning our own yarn... well, you get the idea. :) But I'm beginning to think that this should be less of a fantasy, and more of a reality. Getting back to basics, living off the land, and otherwise living sustainably. What once was a pipe dream, I'm now beginning to think may be necessary for survival in the very near future. And oddly, in spite of being aware of all of this, rather than being afraid, I find myself excited. :) I think the world will be a much better place if we were forced to return to this type of life. To stomp out the rat race. To collaborate and share resources with friends and family. To work for ourselves, on our own homesteads, rather than working for others, to earn money, to buy stuff. By being self-sufficient, you cut out the middleman. You are not dependent on an employer. You are dependent on only yourself. Money would be almost entirely unnecessary. If you needed something that you didn't have, or couldn't produce yourself, you could barter. It will bring us closer to our neighbours. It will humble us. It will force us to return to a life of simplicity.

So I don't know about you, but I find myself wanting to prepare. I'm reading everything I can that pertains to self-sufficiency. Path to Freedom is a great place to start. I'm also re-reading a lot of my Harrowsmith Country magazines, and am on the lookout for books about sustainable living. Like everything else, it's about babysteps. I feel like we've already been taking small steps towards self-sufficiency, so it's just a matter of continuing along this path.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on self-sufficiency, and what kinds of things you are doing to prepare.

Edited to add: Here is an inspirational video by Path to Freedom, called Homegrown Revolution.

4 comments:

  1. NASA is a decent source of information, but remember - scientists have widely varying opinions on this stuff. I would not say NASA is more or less worth listening to than many other academic sources of information. While I find this stuff fascinating to learn about too, I would not assume that they are right in their estimates. (Being married to a scientist I think just makes you more skeptical.)

    That said, I had found Path to Freedom before but hadn't looked at it in a while. With my little lot, I'm impressed with how much they get out of theirs. I'm sure there is a lot of good practical information there. So thanks!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have to take some of those things with a grain of salt because there are wide varying opinions about global warming. Having said that, it is always good to try to be more self-sufficient and less dependent on the government. As I heard today, if the government is so powerful that it takes complete care of you, it can also take everything from you.
    Full disclosure - my husband works at a coal power plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely take these things with a grain of salt. However, global warming IS happening. And oil IS a non-renewable resource. We WILL run out. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. The combination of Peak Oil and global warming is like the perfect storm, waiting to happen. Which is ironic, considering oil is the main reason for global warming! In any case, no one knows for sure how much longer we can continue on this path before something gives. But I sure as heck want to be prepared for either scenario.

    In any case, like extraordinary said, being self-sufficient is a good thing anyway. Being dependent on others puts you at their mercy. So the more self-sufficient we become, the less we have to worry about having the rug pulled from beneath us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to be the doom and gloom person, but you have to remember that today's society isn't the same as it was when people bartered and worked together. Those of us who farm and/or can be self-sufficient must remember it's only "with permission" of the rest of society. If/when things get bad, it will take no time for the "others" to come and TAKE our homegrown produce/animals. It's good to make plans for the future, but the world will not return to the good old days, people in general are just too different now.

    ReplyDelete