Monday, June 9, 2008

The basement, revisited.

So I mentioned awhile ago that I was going to tackle the basement. I've been telling myself that babysteps are better than no steps, so if I just go down and do 15 minutes a day, then I'll be taking steps toward my goal of having a tidy basement. Well I kept putting it off and putting it off. On Saturday night, my husband was out for the evening, my kids were sleeping, and I was bored - so I decided to take the plunge! I spent a good 2-3 hours down there, and made a really, really good dent! What I realized is that a LOT of it was garbage (I know, I'm trying not to create any more garbage, but this was already down there, and I need to get it OUT OF MY HOUSE). A ton of it was recyclable - lots and lots of boxes, and plastic packing stuff. And the vast majority of what was left can be sold or donated. Very little of it is actually anything we actually need to keep - the exception being seasonal stuff, like Christmas decorations, which I'm going to move up to the attic where it's a little drier, and there are less spiders. :) I turned one side of the room into a yard sale area - I had some shelving and a couple of tables in there, so that's where I'm going to start storing all of the stuff that will be going in our yard sale. That will make decluttering the rest of the house easier as well, because I know that the stuff I no longer want or need actually has a place to go.

I've listed a few bigger items on Kijiji, mostly baby items, that I'm hoping will sell. Otherwise I'll either save them for the yard sale, or else participate in the annual "Mom and Baby Sale", where you can purchase a table and set up and sell your baby stuff. I've been listing books on Amazon as I come across them. There are still a ton of CDs down there that my husband will have to deal with - they're his CDs, and he needs to deal with them (he's a little attached to his music!).

Overall, I feel really, really good about the progress I've made. I think I can manage my 15 minutes a day goal now that I'm off to a running start. At least I have some direction, which I didn't have before, and I'm sure contributed to why I was procrastinating about going down there. (Not to mention it's cold and creepy). :)

I'm sad to say I didn't take any before pictures...perhaps it's just as well, the few of you who do come and read my blog might get scared off! But I'll be sure and take some "after" pictures to celebrate my successes. :)

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! Doesn't decluttering feel fantastic? :)

    I try to do 15-30 minutes a day. I don't always get to it, but I'm gradually working through the house.

    My basement is also on my list. It would be easy to throw stuff out or donate from down there, plus I have a DIY project to clean up from. But I am also putting it off because other areas are more appealing to work in. We've got spiders and centipedes (yuck!!!).

    Maybe I'll ask my husband to spray for the bugs again tonight and attack the basement tomorrow? Thanks for the inspiration.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    Please come back and let me know how you make out! Or maybe even post about it on your blog. :) I'm dying for a little incentive and inspiration. lol

    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alissa,
    I wanted to take a peek at your blog - love the photo!

    Our basement is cold, dark and creepy too; another reason I don't enjoy working down there.

    I was amazed when I started my project how much trash and recycling was down there! It's very satisfying to get through all that and clear some space.

    The yard sale staging area is a great idea. My husband is anti-yard sale, so I'm going to try Craig's List for some larger items we need to get rid of.

    I'll be checking on you . . .
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann,

    I'm so glad you stopped by! Maybe we should set up some sort of a basement mini-challenge. lol. Anyone in???

    Thanks for the complement on the photo - it's actually a nearby beach, called Kennington Cove.

    I've actually never had a yardsale, but we have so much stuff accumulating. I could donate it, but I'd like to get some money for it because we're trying to pay down some debt. I'm trying some online selling (Amazon, Kijiji, ebay), but not having much luck.

    I think I remember an announcement on the radio last year about a community yard sale. Similar to the Mom & Baby sale I mentioned in my post, you pay for a table, and can sell off your unwanted goods, flea-market style, I guess. Something else I'll look into.

    Anyway, thanks again, and I'll be checking on your progress as well!

    Alissa

    ReplyDelete