Monday, May 12, 2008

An update

I posted a couple of weeks ago about cutting back on my blogging time, as I have a course I'm trying to finish before May 31st. Well, I'm having a really, really hard time getting through it. The amount of work that has to be done between now and then is almost impossible - but I promised myself I would push through and get it done. However, I'm really struggling with the motivation factor. Since I no longer plan on doing my Masters (at least not any time soon), my motivation to get this course done is almost non-existant. To add to the lack of motivation, I re-read the university's policy on course-retakes, and discovered that I can, in fact, withdrawl at this point and simply re-register if and when I decide to pursue my Masters. The trouble is, this is my 2nd time registering for the course (the first time I foolishly thought that 4 weeks after having a baby, while also having a 2-year-old, and being in the midst of renovating our home was a really, really good time register for a course). So I have now paid for the course TWICE (at over $600.00 each time). I know it's a huge waste of money and time to not finish. But at the same time, all I want to do is sew and knit and bake and play with my kids - all the stuff that gives me the warm and fuzzies.

I need some advice! What would you do if you were in my shoes? Would you put all of your non-necessary homemaking activities on hold and spend every available minute getting this done? It would only be a 3-week sacrifice, of getting up early every morning, and spending every naptime and every evening working on it. I know I can do just about anything for 3 weeks! Or would you say forget it, and let it go? I must say, that's the most appealing option to me right now. Although it would feel really, really good to get it done.

Help!! :)

7 comments:

  1. I'm all for spending your precious time with your children... playing, baking, crafting etc....but maybe ask yourself if you think you would be upset in the future if you didn't finish this course...say, a few years from now. Would you think to yourself, if only I gave it those three weeks!?
    I still feel a little regretful every now and then that I didn't push myself to finsh my pharmacy degree, but then again I wouldn't be working anyway. I want to be an at home Mom...but....
    anyway, that is my little ol two cents...
    Does your husband have an opinion? If he says to forget it, then don't even give the class a second thought. Close the page on that chapter and turn the page to begin the next chapter in your life!
    Good Luck,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably get it over with so it doesn't nag at you. On the other hand, I did a master's and really don't think it was worthwhile. I second Laura's opinion to consult with your husband. Having a second opinion from an inside source is probably the most helpful thing.

    jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's worthwhile to get it overwith, too. Trust me, I've been there and it's hard, especially with small kids and working, but if it's only 3 weeks, you'll be SOOOOO glad when it's done. Plus, you won't feel like you wasted the money. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much to each of you for your comments - it's so nice to hear an opinion that comes from outside your own head sometimes. :)

    I was really leaning towards letting it go - so I spoke to my husband about it again yesterday, and he didn't mind. He said he hated that it was a sunk cost, but basically that it's not the end of the world.

    When I was making my decision, I kept thinking back to something I had written in my post about what it means for me to live an on-purpose life. I said, and I quote:

    "I will not do things out of guilt, fear, or obligation."

    "...I will not do things because I feel I owe it to someone, or something. Instead I will do things because they bring me joy, or add some meaning to our lives."

    This course was no longer adding meaning to my life, and it was an obstacle that was preventing me from moving forward and embracing the life that I want to live. So I am letting go. :)

    Not only am I letting go, but I'm going to get rid of all of the course materials; there is no point holding onto negative energy. :)

    Also, to clear up any confusion, this course was not part of any degree program, it was simply a course that I was missing from my undergraduate degree, but was a prerequisite for the Masters program I was applying to. The only way I could get the course was via distance studies, so it was completely self-paced. They give you 6 months to do the course on your own. I had done a little early on, but then did little to nothing for months, so I would have had a LOT of catching up to do. I already received an offer of admission from the Masters program (pending completion of this course), and had turned it down.

    Thanks again to all of you! I'm going to enjoy my newfound freedom now. :)

    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would've said let it go too. Sorry I've been on a non-blogging funk and didn't read your post until today. I'm glad you decided to do what felt right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Carolyn,
    I thought you'd fallen off the face of the Earth. :) Thanks for your support - yes, I'm quite happy with my decision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!! on an awesome decision!!!!

    ReplyDelete