Thursday, May 1, 2008

A few less posts...

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I won't be posting very much over the next month. I have a course that I'm working on, and it has to be completed by the end of May. I registered for the course when I was planning on doing my Masters degree, as it was a prerequisite I was missing. I've since decided not to pursue my Masters (even though I got accepted into both programs I applied for - *sniff sniff*), and almost decided not to bother finishing this course. But I don't like to burn bridges, and I generally try to finish what I start - so I've decided to buckle down and get it done. I now have less than a month to do 6 months worth of course work. :)

This has actually been weighing on my mind pretty heavily the past few months - whether to pursue graduate studies and a subsequent career (once the kids are in school), or to focus on the home front, where I feel I am most needed. I had to really think about why I wanted to pursue graduate studies, and whether getting an advanced degree would really be the best use of my time and energy. My husband is perfectly capable of supporting us on his salary alone (with some sacrifice, of course), so I was purely seeking some sort of personal fulfillment. I guess there was a part of me that thought I would be completely wasting my first degree (which is in Psychology, and almost completely useless on its own), if I didn't follow up with a graduate degree (which was going to be in Counselling Psychology). But I have since come to realize that education is never a waste. I have no regrets about doing an undergraduate degree even though I am now "just" a homemaker. And having a thorough understanding of reinforcement schedules sure comes in handy for potty training. lol. Actually, in a sense, it makes me feel better about choosing to stay home, because I know that I have options. I could have a career if I wanted one, but I choose to stay home instead.

Sorry for all the italics, it's the only way I can figure out to emphasize words while blogging. :) And it's less shouty-like than caps. Boy, with words like "shouty-like" in my vocabulary I bet you're shocked that I actually got accepted anywhere. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to give you a heads up that I might not be around as much, but I'll still post occasionally if I have something on my mind.

Now... anyone want to volunteer to be my victim... I mean... participant in my practice counselling skills sessions? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment