Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Animal Cruelty

I'm not sure if I have mentioned this on my blog or not - it's such an ingrained part of my life that it just doesn't occur to me to give it special mention - but I am a vegetarian. I have been for about 12 years. I am not yet vegan, although someday I would like to be. We do consume dairy and eggs, in small quantities, and we choose organic dairy and eggs from free-range farms. One of my future goals is to eliminate ALL animal products. However, for now, this is a good compromise for us. My children are also vegetarian, and my husband is a part-time vegetarian. He eats veg when he's home, and steak when he's out... I try not to give him a hard time about it, because this has been my choice, and he has graciously gone along with it for the most part.

In any case, there are many reasons why I have chosen to be vegetarian. This is sort of an impromptu post, so I don't plan on going into too much depth. However, the 3 main reasons, in no particular order, are:

1). Our health,

2). Animal cruelty, and

3). Our planet.

I stumbled across this post today on VeganBits.com:

http://veganbits.com/vegan-eating-trumps-eating-locally/

I encourage you to read it - it is very insightful.

There has been so much talk lately about the importance of eating locally, and yet eating vegan has a much larger impact on reducing greenhouse gas emissions. However it doesn't seem to be as popular with the media, likely because getting people to eat locally is a whole lot easier than getting them to give up their steak.

I assume that if you are here reading my blog, you are at least attracted to the idea of living with purpose, with intention. Part of this entails opening your eyes and really seeing what is going on around you, and then taking steps toward positive change. This is one issue that nearly all of us choose to ignore - how horrendous the conditions are under which these animals live and die, so that meat may land on our plates. Even if you choose not to give up meat, I implore you to at least research the conditions of factory farming, and make better choices about where your meat comes from, and refuse to accept this type of animal cruelty.

Through the same post, I noticed that they have a petition to Oprah encouraging her to speak out on the inhumane treatment of livestock. I just finished signing it. I hope you will too.

http://veganbits.com/petition-to-oprah-livestock-should-be-treated-humanely/#guestbookform

No comments:

Post a Comment