Sunday, March 23, 2008

Kleenex

Well after my earlier post on disposables, I started contemplating Kleenex. We go through an awful lot of Kleenex around here, which costs money, and our forests. Not to mention our landfills, as I am sure the vast majority of people who use Kleenex do not compost. So today I pulled the last Kleenex out of the box, and measured it. (for those of you who are interested in making your own, they are exactly 8.5 x 7.5 inches). I was trying to think of something I already had that would be nice and soft, and not too thick, that I could start my Kleenex stash with. I remembered I had a change pad cover that never fit quite right, and was too flimsy to do the job anyway - it was a really lightweight flannelette. I was able to cut 8 "Kleenexes" out of it (I guess from here on in they will be known as hankies!) Using my serger, I put a little rolled hem around the edge. (For those of you without a serger, you can just as easily do a rolled him on your regular sewing machine, or do a zigzag stitch around the outside to keep it from fraying).

I then folded them in half and interlocked them, just like the disposables come, and returned them to the original Kleenex box! So as you pull one out, the next one pops up!

Voila...

No comments:

Post a Comment